Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Does Cashew Really Slim the Waist?

I remember reading an article about 10 years ago, which swore "Cashew Slims the Waist" :-). However no mention was made of whether that cashew had to be raw or roasted and/or salted as well (We are not talking here about honeyed or caramelized Cashew nuts, 'cause I doubt if those will ever slim the waist - LOL). Nevertheless I would like to believe what the article said and hope that it is true.

Recently I went on a binge of roasted salted cashew nuts myself. While I cannot say if they did anything to my waist, I do know that they didn't go waste. They gave me a high. I savored every exquisite nut because of the perfect quality of roasting and the proportion of salt, which was just what my taste buds ordered. I used to eat so many at a time that invariably the only way to stop eating them was when the tongue started getting ulcers due to the high salt content. Not one to give up easily, I tried slowing down the rate of intake, but not quite the amount!! That way, you see, I would be able to allow the salt from the first couple of nuts, to be washed away by the natural juices of the mouth and then I could continue with my binging.

After ploughing through a whole kilogram of such nuts I called it a day, (not that my craving had gone or that I was totally satiated). But a few days later, I had another attack of what is known as the Meniere's syndrome. This had returned to me after a gap of more than two years. I read up all I could on it and found that it gets aggravated with high salt intake. I can only put it down to the recent binging on those oh so exquisitely salty, roasted cashew nuts. Well waist or no waist, I am not going to allow my body to waste away if I can help it. So perhaps the next time I want to think of slimming my waist through cashew nut intake, I should think of the raw, unsalted ones. Now I’m sure you are thinking that I am truly Going Nuts!!!

4 comments:

pals said...

Yeah I think going the unsalted way is probably best. While you are shielded from calorie values there, here all the boxes specify the exact breakdown of contents in a box of roasted and salted cashews and the figures are high on all the high impact ones like fat, unsaturated fat , cholestrol and such.
Since I have not found unsalted cashews with the calorie content specified, I think they are safer and probably do contribute to waist slimming :)

Jo said...

Amul this whole article was inspired by yours on going nuts. and it became my irst post. :-)

Jo said...

Amul this whole article was inspired by yours on going nuts. and it became my first post. :-)

pals said...

It was nice and nutty!!